Classic Cheese Fondue
1 garlic clove, crushed
200-250g Swiss Gruyere shredded
200-250g Swiss Emmenthal shredded*
100g Swiss Appenzeller shredded*
500ml Light Dry White Wine **
Nutmeg freshly grated
Black Pepper freshly ground
20 ml Cornstarch
30 ml Kirch ***
1 Crusty Baguette or ½ Boule or ½ crusty wholewheat loaf cubed
1. Rub enameled or heavy stainless steel 2L pot with A) then leave in pot.
2. Add B) and place pot on medium heat.
3. Stir continuously 8-10 minutes until cheese has melted and wine has mellowed.
4. Increase heat to med-high, continue stirring.
5. Combine C) well and add to pot and stir. Continue stirring until mixture has thickened, do not boil.
6. Taste for seasoning, keep warm, and serve.
* For a more complex flavour try “cave aged” Gruyere.
French Comte Gruyere is also a suitable replacement for Swiss Gruyere** Swiss White wines are not available in BC. Try an Alsatian Pinot Gris or Blanc or blend such as Hugel, “Gentil”*** Kirch is a distillate of Black Cherries, Swiss is best, although an Austrian Brand, “Schloss” is suitable. Also drink with fondue.
Tradition dictates if a man looses his cubed bread for his fork a round of drinks must be supplied, a woman looses hers a kiss is proffered!